Hallmark Channel is presenting a marathon of Christmas movies because, according to a press release, “the feel-good films are meant to be a beacon of hope in these unsettling times.” Christmas is a happy feeling time but if you really want hope don’t look back to Christmas but ahead to Easter which is just 3 weeks away. Easter is the “rest of the story” for Christmas. It reminds that Jesus came to be our Savior and while He died on the Cross to pay for our sins, the real story reaches its conclusion on Easter morning when the stone was rolled away, and death was defeated. As Christians we are living on the victory side of both Christmas and the Cross. The empty tomb is a true beacon of hope in these unsettling times.
If we had been able to meet this Sunday, we would be looking at Paul’s prayer that we might know “the HOPE to which he has called you, the RICHES of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great POWER for us who believe.” We will be looking at them probably after Easter, but this week think about how great a hope we have at a time when many see no hope. Think about how rich we are in the things that really matter at a time when many worry only about what they have lost because of the stock market or unemployment. Contemplate the power that is available to us to overcome sin and depression at a time when all the news tells us we are powerless to do anything with the pandemic.
As noted on the information of our closing, God is ignoring the quarantine and is everywhere, including in our homes and with us as individuals. (From the Babylonian Bee, a satirical newsletter that looks at life through Christian eyes.)
- Rich and Chris are safely home from their trip to Florida.
- We were able to hold the funeral for Nancy Lehr and our church family responded to the occasion with a great meal for them.
- For individuals who have contacted the Coronavirus.
- For Doctors, nurses and EMS workers who are putting their health at risk to care for those who are sick.
- For Lily’s wrist that it will heal in place and quickly.
- For older folk in our nursing/retirement homes who cannot have visitors because of the virus.
Thanks for praying for our church and community. Please share your praise and prayer with me at Dixonnorm@comcast.net