New Covenant-New Opportunities
New Year’s Resolutions
1. Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
Which of us would not benefit from a closer walk with the Lord? Which of us would not look back on the year 2010 and rejoice if it becomes a year in which we took more seriously this provision of the New Covenant, that of being able to drawer nearer to God?
2. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
Wouldn’t a New Year’s resolution to work a little harder at living each day in the faith we have on Sundays be exciting? The New Covenant provides the possibility of that if we allow Him who provided that New Covenant to strengthen our lives from within. But remember, a more consistent daily faith flows out of drawing closer to God.
3. Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
We gather together as a church to celebrate the New Covenant provided by the broken body and shed blood of Jesus because it is in coming together that we strengthen one another. We have a loving church in many ways and yet there are those in our community and maybe in your circle of acquaintances that you find hard to love. Let’s make 2010 a year to see our love for one another grow and to see how many more we can draw into our love fellowship
4. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing.
Obviously we are here because we believe in coming together to worship and encourage one another. I guess it would be easy to make a resolution for others to attend but that is hardly realistic but how about a New Year’s resolution to make a determined effort to get at least one other person to attend regularly with us and in that way see this New Covenant blessing extended to others.
5. Let us encourage one another–and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
One of the great responsibilities as well as privileges of being a Christian is that of encouraging one another. May I suggest that as a New Year’s resolution provided for in the New Covenant be that each of us select someone special in our church to encourage in some way as often as possible in the New Year. If we all found someone special to encourage to grow and held each other accountable what an exciting year of growth this could be.